Did you know that the last day of February is Rare Disease Day? An occasion dedicated to raising awareness for all rare diseases and encouraging medical professionals to do more research. As many of our customers live with rare conditions, we have gained an educational insight into their daily struggles. So we wanted to do our bit and help spread the word about this annual event by sharing some facts we learnt from the official website!
• What started as a European event eventually became a world phenomenon.
• The event happens during a month with a ‘rare’ number of days.
• Rare diseases currently affect 3.5% to 5.9% of the worldwide population.
• 1 in 20 people will live with a rare disease at some point in their life.
• Most rare diseases have no cure and many go undiagnosed.
• Over 300 million people are living with one or more rare diseases.
• There are over 6,000 identified rare diseases around the world.
• Rare disease can stem from infections, allergies, environment causes or degenerative reasons, but 72% of rare diseases are genetic.
• 70% of genetic rare diseases start in childhood.
• A disease is defined as rare when it affects fewer than 1 in 2,000 people.
• Relatively common symptoms can hide underlying rare diseases, resulting in misdiagnosis and delayed treatments.
• Patients often endure heavy social and financial burdens.
Stay Tuned For Our Next Blog Post – Jane